Trueblue Friendster Profile »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Latest Chelsea News

Chelsea's Lampard: Best I've played in years



Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard believes he's enjoying some of the best form of his career.
He told the Sunday Mirror: "I think it's been one of my best seasons and it's just unfortunate that I've missed three months of it.
"Now that I'm back I feel very fresh and hungry. The game against Olympiacos was great and I want to carry that form on until the end of the season.
"I have a lot to offer. It was a bit of a rest for me even though you work very hard to get fit again.
"You come back hungry and strong and I think we have a few players like John Terry in the same boat."



Lampard happy alongside Chelsea pal Ballack



Frank Lampard insists he can play alongside Michael Ballack in Chelsea's midfield. "Our attitude towards each other is very good," Lampard told the Sunday Mirror.
"If you want to fight with another player you're only going to be unsuccessful as a group. Far from anything like that, I respect him as a top player and we get on very well.
"We've not played together a huge amount - about three games this season - but good, intelligent players can play together.
"I know the last two occasions have been very successful. We've been setting things up for each other and playing very well in the team unit."




Grant under increasing pressure at Chelsea



Avram Grant is battling to keep his job after Chelsea's humiliating FA Cup defeat at Barnsley on Saturday.
The Sun says Grant is under severe pressure for the way Chelsea crumbled in Saturday's embarrassing 1-0 defeat - just weeks after losing the Carling Cup final to Spurs.
Grant said: "I feel responsible. I never in my life have put responsibility on other people.
"I'm the manager and am responsible for everything.
"When my team loses at Barnsley there will be many negative things said about it - and I will accept it.
"We needed to win this game and we didn't do it. It's as simple as that.
"We have two major competitions left. I am concentrating on them not other things."
Grant cancelled his players' scheduled day off yesterday and hauled them in for a post-match inquest.
Israeli Grant added: "It's very sad because we'd played so well in the last week.
"It's disappointing. This team has shown that they can play good football."



Chelsea powerbrokers stunned by Grant selection



Senior Chelsea figures were stunned by Chelsea boss Avram Grant's team selection for their FA Cup elimination at Barnsley on Saturday.
The Times says neither Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, nor Peter Kenyon, the chief executive, attended the match, preferring to watch it on television. It is thought that there is some disbelief over Grant�s team selection in a competition that was seen as Chelsea�s to lose by senior figures at the club.
Coming only a fortnight after the 2-1 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley, Grant is under severe pressure and it has been made clear that Chelsea will have to win one of the two remaining prizes if his reign is not to come to an inglorious halt only eight months after succeeding Jos� Mourinho. Grant�s close relationship with Abramovich may result in him being moved to another role, but a new man is likely to be given the team selection duties.




Ten Cate blasts Chelsea players over leaks



Chelsea assistant coach Henk ten Cate has accused some Blues players of leaking news to the media.
The controversial 53-year-old coach used an interview in a Dutch newspaper to blast the Stamford Bridge dissenters.
Ten Cate said: "What really annoys me is that members from the squad deliberately leak stuff. The training ground should be a safe zone - especially the changing room. I have a problem with it when people from the squad deliberately leak."



Chelsea coach Ten Cate: Media gag my idea



Chelsea assistant coach Henk ten Cate has revealed it was his decision to ban him from speaking to the local media.
In an interview with De Telegraaf, the former Barcelona No2 said: "You wouldn't expect pressure from the media, given that we are doing well, but the pressure is enormous. We can't plan more than 10 games ahead because it's all about a battle for survival for us.
"One bad run of results and you're out. You just can't afford to lose here. I came to Chelsea because I was looking for peace. I wanted to work at the top level and I was looking, at the same time, for peace.<> "That was a condition for me when I came here. I didn't want to talk to the media. I refused to do it. I loved the quietness. The only obligation is that I speak to Chelsea TV, the club's TV channel."

0 comments: