Trueblue Friendster Profile »

Friday, March 07, 2008

Latest Chelsea News

Grant enjoying Chelsea pressure

Avram Grant is relishing the pressure that comes with guiding Chelsea towards success - even if it means upsetting members of his squad.

Against Tottenham in the Carling Cup final it was Michael Ballack and Joe Cole who missed out, while Didier Drogba was rested at the weekend in the Premier League.
It is this competition for places that Grant feels will keep Chelsea in the hunt for three trophies this season.
"Any player that is in the squad expects to play," he said.
"I don't want to be with a squad where players don't want to play. We are a big squad with good players.
"Only 11 can play - I checked, to play with more, but they don't allow it.
"Any formation or 11 I pick, there will be big players on the bench.
"The bench is very important for us, and also the players not in the squad. This is life in a big club."
Keeping the squad happy is a problem Grant is mastering.
"Life in football today is a lot of pressure," he added.
"I think it is good - because when you are in a big club it pushes you always to achieve the best things.
"I think it is good pressure. I like it, personally."
However, Grant was lost for words to describe what failure against Olympiacos would mean - with the Greek champions earning a goalless draw in the first leg of the last-16 clash.
"If we will not qualify ..... I don't know the word, I think you know it better than me," he said.
England midfielder Cole, meanwhile, has bought into the idea of the whole squad needing to be utilised during the season.
"For me, my job is to play for Chelsea when selected and play as well as I can," said Cole.
"I don't pay attention to any of the drama surrounding this football club. My job is to perform as well as I can, and that's what I'll do.
"I think that applies for every big club - Manchester United, Arsenal - all the top clubs in England have big player left out.
"As footballers, you are responsible for one thing and one thing only - and that's your performance. That is regardless of everything on and off the pitch.
"I hope I play, and all I'm concerned with is 'can I help Chelsea get a result?"'

Jose still loves Blues but wants to 'kill' them

Jose Mourinho has warned Chelsea he is out to 'kill' them when he returns to management.

The former Blues boss reiterated his love for the club he managed for more than three years before his sensational departure in September.
But he is desperate to meet them in Champions League combat next season and knock them out of Europe.
'I hope to play them next season in the Champions League,' said the Portuguese, speaking in Valencia at the official global launch of MiCoach.
'If I play them in the Champions League, I want to go there and kill them - that's my message.'
Mourinho was replaced by Avram Grant, who had originally been brought to Stamford Bridge as director of football.
He refused to express an opinion on his successor, saying: 'I feel nothing for him, I feel everything for the club, but not for him personally.
'I still feel Chelsea is a part of me, I'll have Chelsea in my heart forever.
'I left and for five months you couldn't get a bad word from me in relation to the club and you cannot do it in the future too.'
Mourinho's departure was shrouded in mystery, with the build-up dominated by rumours of a falling out with billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.
But he revealed he and the Russian had kept in contact and were on good terms.
'I think it was last week that I spoke with people from the club,' he said.
'I was speaking with Mr Abramovich and (chief executive) Peter Kenyon because we still keep in touch.
'I was telling them I wish them always good, I wish them always to succeed, I wish them always to win.'

Berlusconi wants Sheva to replace Ronaldo

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has reiterated his desire to take Andriy Shevchenko back to the San Siro this summer, describing him as the 'ideal choice' to replace the injured Ronaldo.

Brazil striker Ronaldo is likely to be sidelined until November after undergoing surgery on ruptured knee ligaments in Paris last month.
And Berlusconi believes Chelsea's former Milan favourite Shevchenko can fill the void.
He said: 'I think regularly about Shevchenko and I often speak to him.
'The fans would understand that this would be the ideal choice for us. He is a player who is ready to help and for us that would be the ideal solution.
'I don't think that (Chelsea owner Roman) Abramovich will have a problem in letting him go.'
Shevchenko became Milan's second all-time leading goalscorer in a glorious seven-year spell which ended in the summer of 2006 when he joined Chelsea for £30million.
However, he has failed to shine at Stamford Bridge, although his record of 20 goals in 68 appearances is still respectable.

Milan Can Have Sheva For €10m – Report
AC Milan seem increasingly likely to re-sign Andriy Shevchenko, and can buy him for €10m, according to the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Many people have painted Milan's exit from the Champions League on Tuesday night as the end of an era, and it is clear that the club needs to make some reinforcements in the summer. The primary position that needs strengthening is up-front, and yesterday President Silvio Berlusconi declared that he wanted to bring back Chelsea’s Andriy Shevchenko to San Siro. “I regularly hear from Andriy,” the former Italian prime minister revealed. “And I believe that Roman Abramovich will have no difficulties letting him go. “The fans should understand that it would be the right choice. Andriy is a personable player and represents the best solution for us.” Shevchenko had seven glorious years with Milan, until he moved to Chelsea for €45m in 2006. The move has not worked out well however, and the Gazzetta says that the 31-year-old will be allowed to rejoin his former club if Milan come up with €10m.

0 comments: